Thursday, May 15, 2008

Jimmy Fallon: New Host of Late Night...

Interesting choice. Funny enough guy, I guess.

I will be curious to see what kind of leash he is given. Unlike Conan, he is taking over a show that has a bona fide competitor in the Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson. Ferguson actually beat Conan in the ratings a month ago, i think. Conan may have been a rerun, but still. When Conan took over for Dave, there was nothing else on at 12;30, so he had some time to find his way. I wonder how much time Jimmy Fallon will be given.

I also wonder if it's telling that they are replacing Conan with a somewhat established name. The first month after Conan was named as the new host of Late Night was spent with NBC telling people who the hell Conan O'Brien was.

I like Conan' show, I watch it now(well, truth be told, I TiVo it, and then I fast forward through some of it-he's a HORRENDOUS interviewer), but I will definitely watch Letterman instead of Conan. I still think Dave is king. I cannot fathom why people watch Leno. Leno used to be funny, when he was still a comic, but he became host of the Tonight Show, and he lost any edge he used to have.

I have also heard rumblings that Jay may not be finished. that he is being politely pushed out the door at NBC. THAT could be very interesting, indeed.

But anyway, I'm not sure what I'll do with the 12:30(0r 12:35 or 12:37)a.m. TiVO slot. I've never really watched Ferguson, so perhaps I'll give him a look see the next time Conan's on vacation. I just don't know that I like Jimmy Fallon enough to watch him every night. IT'S ALL SO CONFUSING!!!!

Okay, it's really not, but I'm bored, you know ?

And how will old Conesy fair at 11:35 ? Like I said, I'm not going to watch, most likely. I might watch for a little while, to see if he changes drastically for the earlier hour. but I wonder, will he keep the people that seemed to pick Jay over Dave ? Or will Dave seem more accessible to those folks ? did they like Jay and hate Dave ? Are they just loyal to the "Tonight Show" brand ? Will the odd hairdo of Conan O'Brien test that loyalty ?
It's all very intriguing...And only a year away !!!

No comments: